14 Flask Walk
This grade II listed public house has stood since 1874, when it was re-built by Cumming and Nixon. The name of the pub refers to the fact that in the 18th and 19th centuries Hampstead was a spa which sold not only ales but local water.
Inside, the oustanding feature is the wood and glass screen between the two bars and the collection of 5 chromolithographs of Van Beers paintings. As well as having an excellently appropriate name to be featured in a pub, Jan Van Beers the younger was a talented Belgian painter whose works the landlord at the time clearly admired. Look out also for the etched glass above the chromolithographs and the cornice and clocks on each side of the screen.
Amongst other original features are the bar-back and counter. Take note of the capital of the iron column in the public bar, the fire surround in the saloon and tile strips in the front bars.