Salisbury

The Salisbury
1 Grand Parade
Green Lanes
Harringay
N4 1JX

Like the Queens, this pub is a grade II* listed building and is on the National Inventory.

The Salisbury was built between 1898-9 by John Cathles Hill who was also responsible for The Queens in nearby Crouch End.

The pub was built during the great pub boom at the end of the 19th century and is one of the finest examples.

The pub had become steadily run down through but benefitted from a careful refurbishment in 2002-3.

The pub is very grand outside and inside features a large island servery and L-shaped bar, behind which is a mostly bar-back with Art Nouveau painted details.

Within the Saloon Bar are a wonderful mosaic floor and wide corridor. Other features include the mirrors, woodwork and plastering.

Whilst an original skylight has been removed from the Saloon Bar, a great example remains in the restaurant, which was once a billiard room.

The Salisbury was named after the 3rd Marquess of Salisbury, Robert Cecil, who became Prime Minister on two separate occasions. See The Beaconsfield for another pub in the area named after a Victorian Prime Minister.

The Salisbury featured on the Daytime Crawl of Hornsey in September 2001, the Racing, Railways and Prime Ministers: Daytime Crawl of Wood Green, Hornsey, Crouch End, Finsbury Park and Harringay in June 2009, and the Queens, Earls and Tories: Daytime Crawl of Hornsey, Crouch End, Crouch Hill and Harringay in February 2014.

Exterior of The Salisbury, Harringay