Prince of Wales1a Sudeley Street,
Although this pub is not a listed building, it is one of London’s Real Heritage Pubs and the description is as follows: “A down-to-earth corner-site pub that is a real surprise in the early 19th-century streets of south-east Islington. It was completely rebuilt in the 1930s and retains a considerable amount of original work. The exterior is quite plain but has some pretty herringbone brickwork and a series of doors that must have originally led to several internal spaces, probably including an off-sales area. What really counts is the internal woodwork which shows how many hundreds of inter-war establishments must have looked before modern refurbishments. The walls are lined to two-thirds height with veneer which is embellished with applied strips and painted bands to create panelled decoration. It spreads through walls of the two surviving rooms and behind the serving area. Much of the bar-back is original too. Other minor fittings to look out for are the delicate friezes throughout both rooms and the complicated metal openers to the upper lights of the windows. A dumb waiter descends into the bar-back.
History across the road: The pub overlooks the deep cutting of the Regent’s Canal, opened in 1820 and which linked the Paddington arm of the Grand Junction Canal to the Thames at Limehouse.”
The Prince of Wales featured on the Evening Crawl of Islington in December 2006, and the Rows, Squares and Terraces: Evening Crawl of Islington in August 2011.