Dove19 Upper Mall
The WhatPub link is here: Dove
The Pub Heritage Group link is here: PHG/Dove
The Dove featured on the Daytime Crawl of Hammersmith, Barnes and Putney in October 2003, the Evening Crawl of Hammersmith in July 2006, the Billing and Cooing: Daytime Crawl of Earls Court, West Brompton, Fulham and Hammersmith in October 2013, and the Ancient and Modern: Daytime Crawl of Brentford, Chiswick and Hammersmith in June 2016.
This pub is not only a grade II listed building but it is also on CAMRA’s London Regional Inventory and the description is as follows: “Celebrated far and wide, the Fuller’s-owned Dove overlooks the Thames and is approached by a narrow alley from the river. It was probably built in the early/mid-18th century and refronted in the 19th. Its amazingly tiny snug, with matchboarded counter and fixed wall benches, is claimed by the Guinness Book of Records as the smallest public bar in Britain. However, research by beer writer Martyn Cornell suggests it may not be as old as one might think. He believes it was installed some time after 1911 by the then licensee who thought his single-room, fully licensed premises contravened the Licensing Consolidation Act of 1910 and so he created the diminutive snug to rectify matters. However, he needn’t have bothered, Cornell argues, since, if a single-room, fully-licensed house had existed before 1872 (as was the case with the Dove), the Act did not make it a necessity to put in a second room. We all make mistakes! Had you been drinking here on 7 January 1928 you’d have been waist-high in water judging by a small brass plaque recording that day’s mighty inundation. The other front room is historic too in terms of its wall- seating and counter. Some of the woodwork here, along with that in the vestibule, might even go back to the 18th century and, if so, could be some of the earliest purpose-made pub fittings around. Post-war repairs in 1948 saw the addition of the substantial brick fireplace with its exuberant Portland stone carving of the dove pondering the idea of returning to Noah’s Ark with an olive branch. The rear room at the Dove is modern but the terrace beyond overlooking the Thames is a delightful place to enjoy a drink on a fine day. History nearby: Kelmscott House, 26 Upper Mall, was named as such by the artist and designer William Morris who rented it from its owner, the poet and novelist George MacDonald. Morris established his printing and design works here and the house contains a fireplace designed by Morris’s friend, Philip Webb.”
The listing description is as follows: “Public House. Early/mid 18th century with alterations and additions. Brick. Early 19th century facade to north front, of 2 storeys, 2 windows wide. Shutters to ground floor windows. Entrance with timber hood on brackets. Projecting joists to eaves. South front to River-ground floor projects and has wood balustrade above, Old walling to south east-side.”.