Castle30 West Street
Not only is this pub a grade II listed building, it is also on CAMRA’s National Inventory of Pub Interiors of Outstanding Historic Interest and the description is as follows: “Not far from Harrow School, the Castle was re-built in 1901 and has kept most of its original layout and fittings. The only real change is shown by an unused door down the side passage. When you are inside you would not know it was a door: it was the entrance to a separate off sales and the partition creating it was removed some time ago and the tiny area absorbed into the rear bar. Outside there is an attractive 'The Castle' ironwork over the main entrance and a mosaic floor panel also with the name of the pub. The front bare boarded bar retains its original curving counter but the pot shelves on both bar counters are modern. This small room has a fine vestibule entrance with the figure '1' on the interior side - formally a requirement of the licensing magistrates. The front bar is separated from the rear bar by a splendid and rare part glazed partition almost reaching the ceiling which has a low service door with only three feet headroom originally for staff to get from one part of the pub to another. However, presumably as a result of the 'cotton wool brigade', the door has been firmly fixed in position recently so no one can possibly hit their head as they duck down to go through it! The rear bar also has a vestibule entrance with leaded glass panels and the figure '3' on the inside. This bare wood floor room retains its original curving counter and bar back shelves on a glazed series of windows surrounding a hatch serving the rear room. To the left and right are two small back back fittings with bevelled mirror panels. The original fireplace remains but it has some modern tiles and the gents in this area has been modernised. There are two small rooms on the right. The front bare boarded one has an old cast-iron fireplace and a window from the servery 'for supervision purposes'. The rear right small room with doorways to/from the front and rear is served via a large hatch to the servery. The dado panelling looks modern and the room has lost its fireplace. At the back a door with the figure '5' on it leads to a large room described in the listing description as a 'Billiard Room', which has a wood-block flooring and imitation panelling on the walls. The door covered by curtains on a semi-circular runner originally led to the gents' and the fireplace has some modern additions.”
The listing description is as follows: “Public House. 1901. Red brick, the upper storeys roughcast and colourwashed; machine-tile roofs. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and attic; 4-window range. Central 2-window range projects and has a 6-light mullioned window with 4x2 paned overlights to each casement. All windows to ground floor with engraved glass. Fascia cornice above wraps round into recessed parts right and left and into west elevation. Main entrance recessed to left: brick piers carry short brick columns, plastered and painted to resemble marble. Double-leaf half-glazed doors to north and glazed leaded window to west over panelled dado. First floor with 4 6/1 horned sashes, that to left blocked by sign board. Central brick cornice below gable with one 6/1 horned sash. Date plaque in gable head: 1901. Stack to front roof slope of main gabled range, and 2 further stacks to east. East elevation with one 2-light casement with 4x2 paned oversight, followed by entrances to off-sales and to club room: both doors with 2 panels and a pediment and upper glazing of 6 x 6 panes. Continuous cornice over doors. Further 3-tight casement to the south. First floor of east elevation with 4 6/1 horned sashes, that to right blocked with signboard. 2 similar sashes in attic gable. INTERIOR: saloon bar with glazed timber screen containing low doorway moved north from original position between east doorways. One brick partition removed. Lincrusta dado. Cast-iron fire insert in south wall. Central timber bar with glass racks and rear mirror. Plain public bar to west, with a cast-iron fire insert below a mirror. Billiard room with linenfold panelling and a timber fire surround.”
The Castle featured on the Daytime Crawl of West Middlesex in February 2003, the Daytime Crawl of Outer Northern London in October 2007, and the Metroland: Daytime Crawl of West Middlesex in October 2016.
The WhatPub link is here: WhatPub/Case is Altered
The Pubs Heritage Group link is here: PHG/Castle