Queens Head66 Acton Street
Not only is this pub a grade II listed building, it also has an historic pub interior of some regional importance and the description is as follows: “In a terrace of three houses built c.1764, the Queens Head has a mid-late 19th public house century frontage including a central bowed window and it retains much of its late 19th century interior. Now a single room, the tiled floor running down the right hand side indicates it was originally two rooms separated by partitions with the door to the rear room where the tiled floor ends. There is a colourful Victorian tiled dado of mainly turquoise with narrow ceramic bands of mainly brown and some blue at the top running along the right hand wall and above it 4 large Victorian mirrors in good wood surrounds and a tiled cornice frieze. The bar counter is old but its sloping panelled front makes it look more inter-war than Victorian but the bar back of more good mirrors in wooden surrounds and old shelves do look Victorian. There are more tiles (the ones near the hatch to the cellar are modern, possibly from 1898 when there was a refurbishment according to the listing description) and the frieze as before. At the rear of the room is a Victorian tiled, cast-iron and wood surround fireplace, a skylight above and an alcove/small area on the rear left created by removing some a wall to the left of the fireplace.”
The listing description is as follows: “Terrace of 3 houses, one now a public house. c1835-45, Nos 64 & 68. No.66 (Queen's Head) probably c1764, refaced and altered mid-late C19, refurbished and restored 1989. Nos 64 & 68: Yellow stock brick and stucco ground floors with plain stucco 1st floor bands. Form a symmetrical composition flanking No.66. 3 storeys and basements. 2 windows each. Round-arched doorways with pilaster-jambs carrying dentil cornice-heads; fanlights (No.68 patterned) and panelled doors. Gauged brick flat arches to recessed sashes. Stucco parapets. INTERIORS: not inspected. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached cast-iron railings with fleur-de-lys finials to areas. No.66: Stucco. 3 storeys, attic and cellars. 3 windows. Mid-late C19 public house frontage, restored, of moulded pilasters with enriched capitals and consoles flanking entablature with dentil cornice. Central bowed window with engraved glass; double, panelled doors to either side, part glazed with engraved glass. Stucco Ionic pilasters at angles rise through 1st and 2nd floors carrying a dentil cornice. 1st and 2nd floor windows, 2-pane recessed sashes. Attic storey with recessed panels alternating with 2-light casement windows. Moulded coping. INTERIOR: good interior with green tiled dado, tiled cornice frieze, mirrors along back bar and wall opposite counter. Stair with closed string and column newels. (Survey of London: Vol. XXIV, King's Cross Neighbourhood, Parish of St Pancras IV: London: -1952: 98).”
The Queens Head featured on the From Battle Bridge to Mount Pleasant: Evening Crawl of Pentonville, Kings Cross and Clerkenwell in December 2016.
The WhatPub link is here: WhatPub/Queens Head
The Pub Heritage Group link is here: PHG/Queens Head