Sutton Arms6 Carthusian Street
The WhatPub link is here: WhatPub/Sutton Arms
The PHG link is here: PHG/Sutton Arms
Since the acquisition by Fullers, the interior has been modernised. The bar servery furniture is new and hideous. There are remnants of tiling, and the skylight over the rear part of the room survives. There are wall mirrors around the rear parts, but these look modern. It has thus led to this pub being re-categorised as Interior Ruined.
The former description is shown below.
Built 1892, the Sutton Arms has an attractive frontage of polished stone dado, wood and glazed frontage with tiled panels on the left and right side walls. Now a single bare boarded small bar, the three front doors indicate it was divided into three small rooms originally. Just inside the right hand door is a mosaic floor and a colourful tiled dado on the wall indicating that a partitioned passage originally led to a separate room at the rear. Refitted in the 1930s, the pub retains a fine mirrored ‘Charringtons’ bar back fitting with modern glazing and a broken pediment on the top – note the old gas gauge on the left hand side of it. The counter could also date from the 1930s with a post-war top and attached to it is a dumb waiter which dominates the middle of the room. There is a fine skylight at the rear with Art Nouveaux painted glazed panels. Benches are of no great age. Upstairs are the toilets and the only room here is a private one.