Griffin1262 High Road
Although this pub is not a listed building, it is recognised by the Campaign for Real Ale (CAMRA) as having an historic pub interior of some regional importance and the description is as follows: “A pub on this site was a coaching inn for those heading north from London. Inside there are several (inter-war probably) heritage features. The fielded wood panelling on the walls is old, as is the bar counter front, and the unusual Tudor arch topped doors at the back are an interesting feature. There are brick built fireplaces on both sides of the main bar area which are clearly original, as is the rare diagonal (grey-painted) matchboard panelling on the ceiling. This room would once have been divided into three - what was probably the public bar on the right; a jug and bottle bar leading from the now unused door in the centre; and a saloon bar on the left. There is a fairly large room at the back which has a large skylight which suggests that it may have been a billiards room. On the right, behind the large double doors leading from the street is a "function room", which is effectively a small outside conservatory. Past that is an outside area with an outside toilet and storage buildings that may have been stables; then a large covered seating area with its own bar counter; then a large garden at the back.”
Interestingly the adjacent building at number 1264 (now Pizza Express) is grade II listed and the listing description is as follows: “House, now commercial premises. Late C15/early C16 and C18, with C19 and C20 alterations. Front range of red brick in Flemish bond; rear range a close-studded timber frame with wattle and daub infill, partly underbuilt and replaced, and rendered; brick additions. Plain tile roofs with brick chimney. C18 front range of 2 storeys and attic, 3 bays; 2-storey, 3-bay timber-framed range to rear left; C19 lean-to to rear right;. C20 2-storey addition to end of timber-framed range. Street elevation: 2 late C20 shop fronts with central passage to recessed door. 1st floor: 3 sashes in reveals, the head breaking stopped dentilled eaves-band; left corner rounded. Attic: 3 round-arched dormers with 6-pane sashes and overlights. Rear: front range has external stack with small 1st floor window on right. Timber-framed range has 6-panel part glazed door and variety of C20 windows. Interior: front range at rear has 6 panel door (near stair) and short section of chamfered spine-beam with stepped cyma stop. Timber-framed range: frame survives best on 1st floor, where there are jowelled wall posts, close-studded wall framing with long arched braces up to wall-platts and tie-beams; in central bay a 2-light window with diamond-set mullion to rear wall and later 2-light window to right bay; tie-beams support crown posts which have straight braces up to collar purlin (some braces removed), old rafters, apparently smoke-blackened in end bays but not in centre. Ground floor retains some old wide spaced joists and floorboards, and a sawn-off chamfered spine beam in right bay. The front range probably replaces a pre-existing timber-framed building. Documentary references to property on this site go back to 1504.”
The whetstone in front of the Griffin is also grade II listed and the description is as follows: “Indeterminate antiquity. Block of limestone said to have been the origin of the village name. Probably a mounting block.”
Although this pub is not the official lunch stop they serve reasonably priced Yucatan food here.
The Griffin featured on the Hark the Herald: Daytime Crawl of Whetstone, Barnet, Cockfosters, Enfield and Winchmore Hill on 22 June 2019.
The WhatPub link is here: WhatPub/Griffin