Prince Frederick31 Nichol Lane
Although this pub is not a listed building, it is on CAMRA’s London Regional Inventory of Pub Interiors of Special Historic Interest and the description is as follows: “There was a pub here called the Prince Frederick’s Head in 1761, just ten years after the death of the eponymous prince. The present building is Victorian and, importantly, it was revamped in the 1930s giving it the appealing character it has today. The two front bars are divided by a wall with a narrow pair of doors allowing access from one side to the other. [This wall has been removed in recent years.] At one time there must have been an off-sales compartment between the two parts, as suggested by the now disused doorway in the frontage. Both rooms have three-quarter height wall panelling and distinctive white Vitrolite ceiling panels. In the left-hand room is an attractive dark blue tiled fire surround. The bar counters are plain match-boarded affairs and, as such, difficult to date (they might be later than the 1930s but it’s hard to see why they should have been replaced). The bar-back, however, is a distinct 1930s design and has glazed advertising panels. The rear part is a flat-roofed extension, no doubt, of the 1930s and also has extensive panelling: there seems to have been some opening up in this area.”
The Prince Frederick featured on the Sunny Daze: Daytime Crawl of Petts Wood, Bromley, Catford and Forest Hill on 23 June 2012, and the Sunny Daze: Daytime Crawl of Petts Wood, Bromley, Sundridge Park and Grove Park on 23 June 2018.
The WhatPub link is here: WhatPub/Prince Frederick
The Pub Heritage Group link is here: PHG/Prince Frederick