King's Head9 Market Place
Like the Griffin, this pub is not a listed building but it does have an historic pub interior recognised by CAMRA as being of some regional importance and the description is as follows: “Built 1899 by Cannon Brewery, who obtained a 80 year lease from the Enfield Parochial Trust, the building is twin gabled with tile hung upper storeys and polished stone ground floor. It reopened in 2010 after 3 years closed.
The front U-shaped bar was original three small bars until the 1970s when an opening was created into what is now the snug (originally a private bar). Appears to have the original island bar back/gantry but the bar counter doesn’t look like a Victorian original one and the elaborate pot shelf is definitely modern. Has some very good original deep cut glass in windows and doors with floral – ‘Kings Head Hotel’ with floral designs and ‘Saloon’ in vestibule door. There are replacement Victorian-style fireplaces and all the screens look modern
A wide doorway leads to the rear saloon where, again, the bar back looks old and in Gary Boudier’s excellent book on Enfield pubs he states “In 1936 a new counter was installed in the rear saloon and the floor in the bar area was lowered 6 inches. “ There are gaps to the former Billiard Room at the rear with a fine skylight having a frieze of designs including faces in deep relief. Twin door with ‘Billiards’ lead out to a door servery with a ledge across it for service. Upstairs function room has two Victorian-style fireplaces.
Please note the Market Place can be used for parking but it is owned by the Old Enfield Charitable Trust who make a charge at certain times of day.
Historic information for all 3 Enfield pubs from A-Z of Enfield Pub's Part 1 by Gary Boudier (2000).”
The King's Head featured on the Daytime Crawl of Enfield and Barnet on 19 June 2004, the A King, a Jester and a Bishop: Daytime Crawl of Enfield, Cockfosters and Barnet on 26 February 2011, and the Hark the Herald: Daytime Crawl of Whetstone, Barnet, Cockfosters, Enfield and Winchmore Hill on 22 June 2019.
The WhatPub link is here: WhatPub/King's Head