Flask77 Highgate West Hill
The WhatPub entry is here: WhatPub/Flask
This pub is not only a grade II listed building but it is also on CAMRA’s London Regional Inventory of Pub Interiors of Special Historic Interest where the description is as follows: “Two buildings now forming one pub in an attractive leafy part of smart Highgate. The original, possibly early 18th-century, three-storey section (partly rebuilt about 1767) has a plaque noting an earlier incarnation, ‘The Flask 1663’. In this part there are two old rooms with a servery between them. This has sets of impressive, well preserved glazed sashes of a kind that were more a feature of northern pubs than London ones. The shelving and panelling within it seem of real age (possibly mid-19th-century if not earlier). The public can now walk between the two areas but originally they were separate as the surviving woodwork suggests. There was an extensive makeover in the 1930s from which time we have the plain counter front, spittoon trough (in the more northerly area), panelling and (now doorless) telephone booth. There are two typical 1930s fire surrounds with thin brickwork. The pub has expanded considerably to the left and rear into the present, agreeably rambling plan, although the atmosphere in these parts is decidedly modern.
History on the spot: Pubs used to be focal points for many functions and community activities which have now migrated to specialised premises. Hence it was that the Flask was the place the local manorial court was held in the 18th century.”
The listing description is as follows: “Public house. Possibly early C18, partially rebuilt c1767 by William Carpenter and with various later alterations and additions. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys and cellars with 5 windows. Building to left, 2 storeys 2 windows and double hipped roof. Brick refacing with red brick bands between recessed sashes with gauged red brick flat arches. Ground floor with C20 wooden porch. Parapet. 2 storey building has multi-colour brick ground floor and stucco 1st floor. Wooden shopfront of 3 reeded pilasters, frieze and cornice above which is an oval tablet inscribed "WC 1767". Right hand forward return of former stabling is formed by the rear of Nos 23 to 25 South Grove (qv). INTERIOR: upper bar in later building to left remodelled late C20. Lower bars in original building, named the Snug and Committee Room by early 1995, with 1930s matchboard panelling and fireplaces; these spaces divided by central bar enclosed by sliding sashes with glazing bars, perhaps a mixture of late C18 and 1930s work. Behind it a dog-leg stair with turned balusters on a closed string, c1700, with some panelling. Upper floors not inspected. HISTORICAL NOTE: during the early C18 the Manorial Court was held here. (Survey of London: Vol. XVII, The Village of Highgate (Parish of St Pancras part I): London: -1936: 111-113; VCH: Middlesex : 6: London: 138).”
The Flask featured on the Highways, Archways and Tramways: Daytime Crawl of Highgate, Archway and Kentish Town in June 2010, and the From Wrestling to Assembling: Evening Crawl of Highgate and Kentish Town in August 2015.