George114 Glengall Grove
Isle of Dogs
Although this pub is not a listed building it is recognised by CAMRA as having a historic pub interior of some regional importance and the description is as follows: “Rebuilt in Neo-Georgian style by Watneys in 1932, much can still be appreciated of how things were then and so remained until change in 2017. The public bar, as so often, is placed on the corner and has hefty, lapped boards to the counter, something that was popular in the Thirties. This room has incorporated what was an off-sales detectable in a blocked exterior door now a window. The panelling, in Thirties style, is in fact mostly modern and cheaply done. The lounge and snug were amalgamated in 2017 but original features do survive, such as the fielded panelled and bar back and a still-working dumb waiter. There are pretty decorated plaster cornices. The character, however, has now changed due to liberal applications of pastel coloured paint which seems a hallmark of gastropubs in our times.
History round about: The Isle of Dogs is the promontory of land formed by a loop in the Thames opposite Greenwich. Not an island originally, the name (obscure in itself) is taken from a long-vanished island in the river. It was farmland until the northern part became the site of the West India Docks (opened 1802). Then in 1805 a canal was cut across the top of the peninsula so that at last the Isle of Dogs became an island.”
The WhatPub link is here: WhatPub/George
The Pub Heritage Group link is here: PHG/George
The George featured on the Evening Crawl of Limehouse, Isle of Dogs, and Greenwich in April 2005, the Ornaments of the Orient: Daytime Crawl of Bow and Docklands in October 2009, the Going to the Dogs: Daytime Crawl of the Isle of Dogs, Poplar, Limehouse and Stepney in October 2015, and the Eastern Delights: Daytime Crawl of East Ham, Plaistow, Isle of Dogs and Limehouse in October 2019.